Welcome

* * * TEACHING * * * Creative Quilted Postcards Workshop Rosthern SK July 18, 2017. Register by calling the Station Arts Centre @ 306.232.5332
* * * PUBLISHED * * * Artist feature in Stitchillo, a brand new book in a series called 'Encyclopedia of Inspiration' from UPPERCASE (click to link)
* * * EXHIBITION * * * Homeland: A Collection of Prairie Threadpaintings by Monika Kinner-Whalen. Kathy Theissen Gallery in Rosthern SK. July & August 2017 Reception 10 am to noon on Saturday, July 15, 2017 Station Arts

Enter your email to get posts directly to your inbox. Thank you for following!

Wednesday, 14 June 2017

Out of the Box

I'm slightly unsure of telling you about this one.. but here goes.  It's different for me but it's just what I was waiting for.  : )

Blink and you'll miss it.


I *think* most of the artists are painters but don't quote be on that.  This group was put together by Michael G Remando and the brief but in-your-face show will be up at the Paved Arts Gallery in Saskatoon, on Friday evening June 23 and Saturday afternoon June 24 only.  !

We were encouraged to 'go for it' as Mike would say.  "Just go nuts.  Say whatever you want."  My pal Nicki is going to have abstract work showing which she's not specifically known for.  I was inspired to work on some pieces today and just STOPPED, mid process.  I love them!!  To me, they are perfect just the way they are.  'Technically' they are 1/3 complete in relation to how I usually do my yarn embroidery.  I'm completely satisfied with these pieces as is.  Done. They are entirely the essence of what I wanted to say.  Anything more would be extraneous.

FYI: tiny scissors, huge needles.  See the cutting mat for scale.

I love it!  I find this quite exciting.  I'm grateful for the invite and the encouragement.  Pictured about is my workspace.  I work on the black felt in the scroll frame, and you can see a print out of some blotchy orange leaves in a parking lot patch of grass.  : )  Really - you can find inspiration in anything.  And look what happened!

Essence Underfoot No. 2, 2017  (measures 8x8")

It was pretty fun to work with!  I'm excited to clean them up and pop them in some black frames.  : )  I have some black line drawing threadsketches (like line drawings, not threadpainting) to put into the show as well.  Oh, and by the way, the artists will be on site and there might be refreshments, so if you are out and about, please do drop in and say hello!


10 comments:

Giddings Art said...

I love these!! They are striking on the black felt! If I start driving now, maybe I can make it to the show : ) !!

Sewing Up A Storm said...

Those are beautiful. As an artist it is always so fun and rewarding to work outside your normal box and discover something new and fresh. Wish I could see the show.

Ruth Camack said...

Really like it. Great title!!

Ruth

MICHELE CALZOLARI BANCA IGEA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MICHELE CALZOLARI BANCA IGEA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MICHELE CALZOLARI BANCA IGEA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nicki said...

It was a fun show- glad you were there and out of your comfort zone with me!

GIDILBERTO BRAMBILLA. PENTITISSIMO FONDATORE DI LEGA NORD = LEGA LADRONA! said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GIDILBERTO BRAMBILLA. PENTITISSIMO FONDATORE DI LEGA NORD = LEGA LADRONA! said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GIDILBERTO BRAMBILLA. PENTITISSIMO FONDATORE DI LEGA NORD = LEGA LADRONA! said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

* * * Here are some of the most viewed blog posts this month * * *